In Islam Dhikr means remembering Allah in heart and mentioning Him by the tongue. Dhikr is a very powerful and simple way to worship Allah (SWT) when we have a lack of time, which carries many benefits and virtues.
Allah (SWT) wants us to remember Him in every situation no matter whether its happy or sad situation as much we possibly can. By praising and glorifying Allah (SWT) we are showing our gratitude to Him and recognizing His nobility. We are accepting that we have no power without Him, as He has power over all things.
Once we have truly understood this, we can understand that we are not actually in control of our lives, and it is only with the help and will of Allah (SWT) that we can achieve things in our lives. Prophet Muhammad(saw) also suggested the importance of Dhikr:
“ If your hearts were always in the state that they are in during dhikr, the angel would come to see you to the point that they would greet you in the middle of the road” (Sahih Muslim).
8 Benefits of Dhikr:
1. The dhikr of Allah removes the rust of your heart and purifies the heart. As mentioned in Quran “Rather, the stain has covered their hearts of that which they were earning.”
2. Dhikr makes Muslims closer to Allah. Through this, a person makes direct connection with Allah.
3. The Dhikr (Remembrance of Allah) and tears that are shed – give a person shade on the Day of Judgement.
4. Allah (SWT) remembers those who remember Him. As he mentioned in His Holy Book: “ Therefore remember Me I will remember you,” (Al-Baqarah 2:152). Such prestige and dignity are enough for a Muslim to be proud of and it shows the greatness of this act.
5. Dhikr of Allah protects you from your enemies. It works like a shield around you and protects from any harm.
6. The beloved Prophet (PBUH) advised to remember and praise Allah (SWT) all the time because it the best deed being considered in Islam and possible to do while doing anything.
7. Dhikr is Remembrance of Allah [Dhikr] which is basis of Gratitude and thanks [Shukr] – when you remember Him abundantly you thank Him abundantly.
8. It endows the heart with life. Ibn Taymiyah said, ‘Remembrance is to the heart what water is to fish. What happens to the fish that leaves the water?’
In short, remembering Allah (SWT) is one of the virtuous acts of worship through which one can achieve tranquility, rest and peace of mind and heart. May Allah gives us the strength to do Dhikr regularly and can get Allah Almighty blessings. Ameen!