Iman is generally
interpreted to mean faith, but there’s more. Iman is:
I. The conviction in the heart,
II. The declaration with the tongue and,
III. The implementation with the limbs.
Thought. Speech. Action.
There has to be a balance. Its safe to say Shaytan believed in Allah but failed in implementation, which led to his damnation.
Let’s break it down even further. For Iman to stand, there are seven conditions:
1. Knowledge: Ignorance has no place in islam and it is therefore fundamental that a muslim knows his Lord.
Rasulillah (SAW) said;
“He who died knowing (fully well) that there is no true God worthy of being worshipped except Allah, entered Al Jannah.” [Muslim]
2. Certainty: see what Rasulillah (SAW) said again:
“I bear witness that La illah illal’lah, (No one has the right to be worshipped except Allah) and I am his Messenger. The slave of Allah who would meet Him (Allah) without harbouring any doubts about this (the testification) would enter Al Jannah.” [Muslim]
3. Acceptance: you have to accept without any resistance everything Allah has commanded. Surrender like your life depends on it. On a second thought, your eternity depends on it.
4. Complete submission to Qur’an and Sunnah: there’s no “selective submission”.
“And whoever submits his face (himself) to Allah, while he is a Muhsin (good-doer ie performs good deeds totally for Allah’s sake without any show off or to gain praise or fame
and does them in accordance with the Sunnah of Allah’s Messenger Muhammad (saw)), then he has grasped the most trustworthy handhold.” [31:22]
5. Condemn all shades of falsehood: Hypocrisy is worse than complete disbelief. The hypocrite will utter belief while the heart conceals disbelief and rejection.
The Prophet (saw)
“There is none who testifies sincerely (from his heart) that there is no God worthy of being worshipped except Allah, and that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah, except that Allah will save him from the hell-fire.” [Bukhari and Muslim]
6. Singularity of devotion: your devotion has to be to Allah alone. You can’t be a part time muslim. Its not a jumuah to jumuah affair, or a Ramadan to Ramadan affair. It is a daily affair. 24-7, 365. All your actions have to be channelled towards service to Allah, even if it is saving people from harm. Allah can’t order one thing while you do another.
7. Love and
Hate for the sake of Allah:
Loving what Allah loves and hating what Allah hates. Love good and hate evil no matter who is doing even if it is you.
The Prophet (saw)
“Whoever possesses (the following) of three qualities will relish the sweetness (delight) of Eemaan (Faith): The one to whom Allah and His messenger (saw) becomes dearer than anything else: that he loves a person for Allah Alone (i.e. purely seeking Allah (swt) and His pleasure); that he hates to revert to Kufr (disbelief) after Allah has rescued him from it as he hates to be thrown
in hell.” [Bukhari and Muslim]
If you’ve never read the “Terms and Conditions” to anything, you just read one. Don’t be scared like everything is “un-achievable”. Just set out on this path and Allah will make it easy for you.
We all haven’t arrived yet.
Photo Source: M
Photo Source: Mosque Foundation. and Islam n Muslims