In these body parts hands, mouth, face, arms, nostrils, arms, and feet included. In religion Islam, wudu has great importance. Muslims are required to perform wudu before offering the prayer five times a day. We want to make sure that we are in a physical sense, as well as a spiritual sense, “purified” before we face Allah. Prayer is not acceptable if you do not perform wudu. Allah Almighty says in Noble Quran about the importance of Wudu in these words: “O you who believe! When you intend to offer prayer, wash your faces and your hands (forearms) up to the elbows, rub (by passing wet hands over) your heads, and (wash) your feet up to the ankles. If you are in a state of major impurity, bathe your whole body. But if you are ill or on a journey, or one of you comes from a nature call, or you have been in contact with women, and you find no water then take for yourself clean sand or earth, and rub with it your face and hands. God does not wish to place you in difficulty, but to make you clean, and complete His favor to you, that you may be grateful” (Quran, 5:6)
The above verse of Holy Quran tells us the step by step procedure to perform wudu and also the importance of wudu in Islam. First thing before saying wudu is the Intention or Niyaat which means you are intended to purify yourself with your true intentions. In Holy Quran, the word ‘tahharik’ which means purify you is used for the purpose of wudu. Allah Almighty says in Holy Quran: “The angels said, “O Mary, God has chosen you and ‘tahharik’ (purified you), and He has chosen you over the women of all the people”(Quran, 3:42)
Cleanliness is important not only for the religious perspective but scientifically it is proved that wudu is the most appropriate practice to purify the organs of human body. Every Muslim performs wudu (ablution) before offering prayers. It is a simple, certain and obligatory pattern of washing one’s body parts with which they start their prayers. In Hadith related to the importance of performing wudu Abu Huraira narrated that: Allah’s Apostle (SAW) said, “The prayer of a person who does, Hadath (passes urine, stool or wind) is not accepted till he performs (repeats) the ablution.” (Sahih Bukhari)
In the Quran and Hadith significance of cleanliness is mentioned various times. This shows the importance of purity in Islam. It has great benefits for us. We will remain healthy and active; gain the blessings and Mercy Allah Almighty. If we remain clean it will affect our physical as well as mental health. Wudu (ablution) is obligatory before the prayers and also before reciting the Quran. Before worship Almighty Allah, it is obligatory that one should in the state of purity. Abu Huraira narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said, “Listen to me carefully! Shall I inform you about the deeds through which Allah eliminates mistakes and elevates your ranks? To make wudu fully and properly despite its difficulties, to go to mosque from a distant place and to wait for the next prayer after a prayer” (Nasai)
Acts of Performing Wudu (Ablution)
Following are the acts of performing wudu that we should follow:
- The first step is to make Niyaat of prayer in the heart
- Then recite Bismillah in the Arabic language
- Start washing your hands till the wrists start from the right hand
- After it takes water in right hand and put in the mouth for three times
- Then, wash nostrils properly three times
- After that, wash your face three times with both of your hands
- Over it, wash your right arm till the elbow for three times; similarly, wash your left arm three times.
- After that, wash your head from the forehead to the back. Then, clean your ears with the hands.
- At the last, put water on the right and left feet for three times. This is the last step of ablution.
Benefits of Wudu (Ablution)
There are many benefits of performing wudu (ablution). Some of them including scientific benefits are mentioned below:
- Wudu prevents us from many physical health issues
- It gives physical purity. As all body parts washed many times due to wudu so it gives us purification
- Wudu eliminates all our bad deeds and sins as mentioned in Hadith by Prophet Muhammad (SAW)
- Try to remain in the state of wudu as it is the best way of getting Allah Almighty’s blessings
- Wudu purifies our body from head to foot
- It strengthens us spiritually by giving inner peace
- Wudu is a part of our faith, strengthen your faith by performing ablution and remain in the state of purity
- Wudu is prescribed by Allah, but now its scientific benefits also are proven. During Wudu, you wash your mouth several times in a day; it will protect you from tooth problems. Similarly, by washing your face several times in a day, your face will be protected from the wrinkles and lines.
- In everyday life after starting the day, we touch various things in a day. These things can contain various types of germs which are harmful to our health. So if we do Wudu, we will definitely wash our hand. It will wash out all the germs from our hands and we will remain healthy
- Washing arms activates blood circulation at those remote areas of the body which is far from the center of the blood pumping heart, making the person more active.
In short, try to remain in the state of Wudu every time. It will bring you closer to the Allah Almighty. Also, it is necessary to perform wudu before worship Allah or offering prayer and reciting Noble Quran. Wudu is the important part of Islam and our faith. It not only helps to achieve purity physically but also spiritually and mentally. The benefits of performing wudu are not limited to get virtues, but also help you to save you from many harmful diseases and bad activities as we have discussed above.