Marriage is an integral part of a Muslim’s life, indeed it is too important in our religion Islam that it is considered to be one half of one’s Faith. Marriage is the lawful and legitimate way to indulge in intimacy between a man and woman. Marriage is a great virtue and means of salvation in religion Islam. Marriage is a contract made by male and female to live together as wife and husband in order to strengthen their relationship. Allah Almighty mentioned in the Holy Quran: “And marry those among you who are single and (also marry) the Saliheen (pious) of your (male) slaves and maidservants.” (Quran, 24:32)
Marriage is an act of Sunnah. There are many Ahadith that instruct us to get married. Our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) himself got married and encouraged others to marry too. It is obligatory for whoever has the means to do so and a fear committing what is forbidden. It has been reported that the Holy Prophet (SAW) said: “O young men! Whoever among you can afford it, let him get married, for it is more effective in lowering the gaze and guarding chastity.” (Al-Bukhari 5065)
Marriage is a way to acquire spiritual perfection and also married people remain healthier physically and mentally. When a Muslim gets married he/she fulfills the religious obligation and duty. Through marriage fulfill the need of each spouse by the other, in order to maintain their chastity by satisfying natural sexual desires. It is an essential element in the proper and actual upbringing of children. Marriage safeguards from the sins of fornication, homosexuality, and masturbation.
Selection of Spouse
In order to get married the spouse selection should be based on basically religiousness in addition to this below, we are going to discuss some things that need to be considered while selecting a spouse.
- The spouse should be pious with whom someone is getting married.
- The spouse should be religious.
- One should have a good nature. He/she should be patient during difficulties that may arise in married life.
- The marrying partners should be compatible with each other.
- The Messenger of Allah Holy Prophet (SAW) has given great emphasis on taking into consideration a good family background when someone intends to get married.
- Though a spouse should be piety and religious but with that one should also consider the physical and mental health.
There should be love, respect, care, honesty, mercy, confidentiality, and selflessness in marriage if someone wants to live a happy married life. May Almighty Allah guide us to the right and make us capable to act upon His commands and to follow the Sunnah of His beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). Ameen